Sapele - otherwise known as Scented Mahogany comes from many areas of Africa. Sapele is a popular species and was very often used in the 1960s and 70s as a flooring material. It is well worth considering for those looking in the mid-range colours. Click to read more about this wood on our wood types page.
These are a standard size, the measurements are:
- 9" long - 2 3/4" wide - 3/4" thick
- (Approx 229 mm by 70 mm by 20 mm
Please note: In the description we use Imperial dimensions because that is how the blocks were originally milled. Metric dimensions are rarely an exact match.
Sapele has warm, mid red-brown mahogany colours, with a satin sheen to it and characteristic stripes in golden honey tones.
This Sapele was reclaimed from a school in Wakefield.
The flooring is for sale in multiples of 1 sq m above the minimum online purchase of 5 sq m but if you need a smaller quantity please contact the office directly.
The Sapele parquet has a tongue and groove profile. There is a thin layer of bitumen on the bases however the professional adhesives now available will fuse with the bitumen and stick successfully without the necessity of removal. Furthermore most of our recommended fitters use it. You can buy our recommended adhesive SikaBond 5500s on our website.
The blocks will require some preparation prior to laying, particularly along the edges. This will ensure a tight fit and therefore a better finish. In addition the floor will need several good sanding passes after the completion of the block laying.
Before buying your parquet we recommend you request a sample so you know what to expect.
Photos of Sapele:
The feature photo is of Sapele as supplied by us and laid by fitters. The pictures show our parquet blocks once fitted, sanded and polished. It is important to note that this would not be the condition of the blocks as they will be supplied, which will be in their reclaimed condition. The sizes may also be different to the one advertised.
- Payment: We use Sage Pay 3D Secure or PayPal for all on-line purchases, or you can telephone or email the office to place and pay for your order.
- Ordering: Please allow 10% extra on your room area to cover wastage in the pattern. When purchasing don't forget to advise us of a contact telephone number and your preferred date for receiving the pallet, as someone will need to be there to sign for it.
- Delivery: We can normally process your order within 3-4 days and the delivery takes another 2-3 days depending on where you live. In general you would be able to receive your block within a week. If you need your order sooner then please let us know and we will try to help as best we can.